I’ve been making what I feel is a valid attempt of coming out of the fog I’ve been in for the past few months. I haven’t done any baking for months, and I’ve been anxious to get back at it! So for Thanksgiving I signed up to bring the infamous pumpkin pie. I knew this had to be a good way to ease back into it, considering I’ve made about a million pumpkin pies in my life. It seemed fool-proof. However, I’m certain that Thanksgiving has never met this fool. It didn’t turn out quite like I had hoped. It was a harsh reality to face as the thought actually sunk in…this baby has stolen my baking mojo, and I want it back!
That’s a slight joke. But in all honesty, I feel a little rusty, so I’m hoping for some energy to kick back into gear and the opportunity to try some fabulous new recipes this Christmas season! I started with these lovely Gingersnap Snowflakes after my husband quite loudly proclaimed the other night, “There’s no cookies around here!” I love and adore molasses and ginger, and am a huge fan of any sweet treat that marries these two together. To me it is the signature smell of the Christmas holiday.
With the hopes that I can get with it and kick this wonderful, snowy, twinkling light holiday season off right, here are a few recipes I’m dying to try!
- Cardamom Shortbread Cookies – yes, yes…and yes! What’s not to like about shortbread? There’s so much butter in shortbread, it’s bound to warm your insides. 🙂 Plus, I have a small infatuation with cardamom, so this is a win-win.
- Peppermint Meringue Kisses – these are just so pretty!
- Creme Brulee Cookies – oh good heavens…
- The Pioneer Woman’s Christmas Rum Cake – I tried a rum cake earlier this year that was a bit of a disaster, but this recipe makes me want to try again. YUM!
- Butterscotch Fudge – am I ridiculous for even trying fudge again? Fudge and I don’t get along.
- Homemade Gumdrops! – I’m so intrigued!
And of course our household would not be celebrating Christmas without these classic Schrader traditions
- Annie’s Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Homemade Marshmallows – although this year I’m planning on dipping these in dark chocolate!
- Gingerbread Men
Time to get busy! What Christmas baking traditions do you have?